A Singing Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japanese basic kanji

4 posters

Go down

Japanese basic kanji Empty Japanese basic kanji

Post by yukihime03 2011-03-30, 03:00

I'm gonna give you the first 10 basic kanji to start, okay?

1. 日
Kun yomi: hi (ひ)
On yomi: nichi (にち)
meaning: sun, day
example: nihon (日本) -> Japan

2. 月
Kun yomi: tsuki (つき)
On yomi: getsu (げつ)
meaning: moon, month
example: mangetsu (満月) -> full moon

3. 木
Kun yomi: ki (き)
On yomi: moku/boku (もく/ぼく)
meaning: tree
example: mokuzai (木材) -> lumber

4. 山
Kun yomi: yama (やま)
On yomi: san (さん)
meaning: mountain
example: Fujisan (富土山) -> Mt. Fuji

5. 川
Kun yomi: kawa (かわ)
On yomi: sen (せん)
meaning: river
example: kawagishi (川岸) -> riverside

6. 田
Kun yomi: ta (た)
On yomi: den (でん)
meaning: rice field
example: suiden (水田) -> paddy field

7. 人
Kun yomi: hito (ひと)
On yomi: jin/nin (じん/にん)
meaning: man, person
example: ningen (人間) -> human

8. 口
Kun yomi: kuchi (くち)
On yomi: kou (こう)
meaning: mouth
example: deguchi (出口) -> exit

9. 車
Kun yomi: kuruma (くるま)
On yomi: sha (しゃ)
meaning: car
example: densha (電車) -> train

10. 門
Kun yomi: kado (かど)
On yomi: mon (もん)
meaning: gate
example: senmon (専門) -> specialty

PS:
Kun yomi (japanese reading) is used when a single Kanji is used alone as a word.
On yomi (Chinese reading) is used when kanji are used together with other kanji to make a word.
However, there are some other rules too in deciding how to read a kanji.

If you have questions, you're welcome to ask. I'll try my best to answer. smile
yukihime03
yukihime03
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Country Flag : Indonesia
A welcome gift. :3 - freija93 I know you love it. - freija93 You're so awesome!!! <3 - Kyoki You love chocolate don't you ;) - -ALT- It's orange flavor, I think... - hikaru miaka Thank you very much ^.^ - svetyalana I hope you enjoy your stay here. :) - kazaki03 for our snow princess ^^ - svetyalana So snowy~ - phio_chan Happy birthday! - phio_chan Because I can't send you one in real life. XD - phio_chan

http://yukihime03.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Japanese basic kanji Empty Re: Japanese basic kanji

Post by phio_chan 2011-03-31, 01:34

This is quite a lot. O_o Will do my best to memorize it~ smile Thanks, ohoho~
phio_chan
phio_chan
Main Administrator
Main Administrator

VIP Award Gold Award
Thank You for being such a great friend to me. - Marvin For you being you. - Marvin For being fans of Akiko Shikata like me~ - Wasabi Happy 2011~! - Wasabi Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin For the creator of the wonderful ASH :) - -ALT- Hope things will be better with the power of crystal :D - -ALT- For our beloved admin! - Nonomino So a chronicle of our friendship always exists! - Ellie_T May this armor protect you from all harm~ - Ellie_T You're so awesome!!! <3 - Kyoki You're totally the greatest admin ever!!! <3 - Kyoki I hope you will like it! - hikaru miaka You guys are awesome. :D - kazaki03 Thank you for being awesome Shikata friends. =) - kazaki03 For following me on Twitter. =) - kazaki03 Thank you very much ^.^ - svetyalana Thank you for all your hard work, Admin-sama! - Ellie_T We're the cutest Mafia ever!! - svetyalana pick your poison, my dear friend. XD - yukihime03 I would have never reached Gold Rank without you guys. Thanks. :) - kazaki03

https://chouwa-harmonia.forummotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by yukihime03 2011-03-31, 02:28

Still a long way, you know.. There's 500 basic kanji. BASIC.
yukihime03
yukihime03
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

A welcome gift. :3 - freija93 I know you love it. - freija93 You're so awesome!!! <3 - Kyoki You love chocolate don't you ;) - -ALT- It's orange flavor, I think... - hikaru miaka Thank you very much ^.^ - svetyalana I hope you enjoy your stay here. :) - kazaki03 for our snow princess ^^ - svetyalana So snowy~ - phio_chan Happy birthday! - phio_chan Because I can't send you one in real life. XD - phio_chan

Back to top Go down

Post by phio_chan 2011-03-31, 02:33

Mm, lovely. I ask thee to help posting all those 500 BASIC kanji, if possible, agree? big smile Thee shall be paid with Oreo milkshake! (That is, if I ever to touch it again, muahahaha~)
phio_chan
phio_chan
Main Administrator
Main Administrator

VIP Award Gold Award
Thank You for being such a great friend to me. - Marvin For you being you. - Marvin For being fans of Akiko Shikata like me~ - Wasabi Happy 2011~! - Wasabi Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin For the creator of the wonderful ASH :) - -ALT- Hope things will be better with the power of crystal :D - -ALT- For our beloved admin! - Nonomino So a chronicle of our friendship always exists! - Ellie_T May this armor protect you from all harm~ - Ellie_T You're so awesome!!! <3 - Kyoki You're totally the greatest admin ever!!! <3 - Kyoki I hope you will like it! - hikaru miaka You guys are awesome. :D - kazaki03 Thank you for being awesome Shikata friends. =) - kazaki03 For following me on Twitter. =) - kazaki03 Thank you very much ^.^ - svetyalana Thank you for all your hard work, Admin-sama! - Ellie_T We're the cutest Mafia ever!! - svetyalana pick your poison, my dear friend. XD - yukihime03 I would have never reached Gold Rank without you guys. Thanks. :) - kazaki03

https://chouwa-harmonia.forummotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by yukihime03 2011-03-31, 10:34

Deal! When we meet again, I shall ask for it. XD
yukihime03
yukihime03
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artesox 2011-04-02, 14:19

Argh, this is confusing ;-;

But I have to work hard if I want to understand ;-;
Artesox
Artesox
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

VIP Award
Country Flag : Brazil
for being a member at ASH ^^ - phio69 For being fans of Akiko Shikata like me~ - Wasabi thank you. so much. - phio69 Happy 2011~! - Wasabi Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin For our very own talented writer ;) Yay for being a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino You're so awesome!!! <3 - Kyoki You guys are awesome. :D - kazaki03 Thank you for being awesome Shikata friends. =) - kazaki03 For following me on Twitter. =) - kazaki03 For awesomeness! - phio_chan

Back to top Go down

Post by yukihime03 2011-04-02, 17:38

If you're confused, just ask. ^-^
yukihime03
yukihime03
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artesox 2011-04-03, 06:59

my problem is that I don't understand the Kanji system at all.

I just can't figure out how to even use or say it. ;-;

Artesox
Artesox
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

VIP Award
for being a member at ASH ^^ - phio69 For being fans of Akiko Shikata like me~ - Wasabi thank you. so much. - phio69 Happy 2011~! - Wasabi Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin For our very own talented writer ;) Yay for being a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino You're so awesome!!! <3 - Kyoki You guys are awesome. :D - kazaki03 Thank you for being awesome Shikata friends. =) - kazaki03 For following me on Twitter. =) - kazaki03 For awesomeness! - phio_chan

Back to top Go down

Post by yukihime03 2011-04-03, 14:20

Kanji system is pretty much like the Chinese one... The difference is when the Chinese use all of the characters to represent all their words, the Japanese only use kanji to represent some words.

Example:
きょうは3月15日です。 (Kyou wa sangetsu juugonichi desu.) -> Today is the 15th of March.

As you can see in the example, the only words that use kanji is 月 -getsu(month)- and 日 -nichi(day)-. The rest of the words use hiragana.

As to why we read 月 as getsu and 日 as nichi which are their onyomi, it's because they are combined with the numbers 3 (san) and 15 (juugo) to create the words March and 15th.
To make it clearer, I'll give you examples of using the kunyomi for 月 and 日.

Example:
あれは月です。 (Are wa tsuki desu.) -> That's the moon.

Here, 月 is read as tsuki which is the kunyomi because 月 stand alone as the word "moon".

Example:
きょうは鉄道の日です。 (Kyou wa tetsudou no hi desu) -> Today is the Railway Day.

Here, 日 is read as hi which is the kunyomi because 日 stand alone as the word "day".

Of course we cannot always use these rules because there are some exceptions in reading kanji. Sometimes, even though the kanji is combined with another kanji to create a word, we use the kunyomi...
I know, it's really complicated. That's why we have to remember all of them... =__=
Oh yeah, to know when to use kanji, of course at first you have to know all the kanji to know which are the words that use kanji...
Before i learned kanji, i wrote nichi as にち. But after i know that nichi has kanji, i write it as 日.
It is important too that before you learn kanji, you have to master hiragana and katakana, also the basic grammar of Japanese language so that you won't be too confused when I try to explain things. ^-^
yukihime03
yukihime03
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artesox 2011-04-04, 08:06

Aha, now I see why I couldn't understand big smile

Well, at least I see where I have to start now >_>
Artesox
Artesox
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

VIP Award

Back to top Go down

Post by LavenderYuki 2011-04-04, 18:49

Thank you for making this thread. I've always regret the fact that I haven't got the chance to further my Japanese class to the Kanji skill level. I can't afford to extend my stay in uni anymore orz

but I'd say this is quite an easy list of Kanji. I've seen most of them in lyrics, thanks to the many Jpop I've been listening. I'll be following this thread for more.

edit: lol I just realized there's one of my favorite kanji listed there - 門. I just love it for no apparent reason big smile
LavenderYuki
LavenderYuki

for being a member at ASH ^^ - phio69 For being fans of Akiko Shikata like me~ - Wasabi Happy new year! - Artesox Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin For Rurutia's little guardian angel :D - -ALT-

http://mizrock20.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down