A Singing Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gintama .

3 posters

Go down

Gintama                   . Empty Gintama .

Post by Kyoki 2011-03-11, 09:55

So I decided to start this thread since I love Gintama and felt that we needed a thread on here to talk about such an awesome series.

I'll post a quick summary from Wikipedia for those who are not familiar with Gintama.

The story of Gin Tama takes place in Edo (known today as Tokyo because of its name change in 1868), Japan, which was conquered by aliens called Amanto in the late Edo period. The samurai of Japan fought the aliens, but after their defeat the Amanto placed a ban on carrying swords in public. The plot is focused on an eccentric samurai, Gintoki Sakata who helps a teenager named Shinpachi Shimura save his sister Tae from a group of aliens who want to make her part of a brothel. Impressed with Gintoki, Shinpachi becomes his apprentice and works with him as a freelancer in order to pay the monthly rent where Gintoki lives, as well as to know more about him. The two of them rescue a teenage alien girl named Kagura from a group of Yakuza who wanted to use her superhuman strength to kill people. Kagura joins Shinpachi and Gintoki to work as freelancers and the three become known as "Odd Jobs Gin". While doing their job they encounter the police force Shinsengumi several times, who normally ally with Odd Jobs Gin in their work since they commonly involve dangerous criminals. They also come to meet Gintoki's former comrades during the Amanto's invasion, including the terrorist Kotaro Katsura who maintains a friendly relationship with them despite his ambitions to destroy the bakufu. On the other hand, Shinsuke Takasugi acts as a major antagonist throughout the series, as he wants to destroy the bakufu in a more violent way than does Katsura.
Although the series' story is commonly episodic, there are also a few story arcs which are developed through several chapters.

This anime is seriously my favorite ever. I love the story, it's fantastic. I love all the characters, they are all so fantastic. And it's so funny.

I talk about this series so much to my boyfriend and cousin that though neither of them have watched or read it, they know some of the greatest parts. >.>

So, have you heard of this wonderful series? And who are your favorite characters? Least favorite? Do you have a favorite chapter or episode?
Kyoki
Kyoki
Gold Member
Gold Member

VIP Award Gold Award
Country Flag : United States
for being a member at ASH ^^ - phio69 for all you have done for ASH - phio69 For being fans of Akiko Shikata like me~ - Wasabi happy birthday, Kyoki-chan! - phio69 Happy 2011~! - Wasabi Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin Yay for being a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino So a chronicle of our friendship always exists! - Ellie_T May this armor protect you from all harm~ - Ellie_T For being dedicated to ASH! - freija93 You're one of the best. ^^ - freija93 Here's a dualithnode crystal from Kazaki-Reyvateil desu. xD - kazaki03 I would have never reached Gold Rank without you guys. Thanks. :) - kazaki03

http://kyoki-33.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Gintama                   . Empty Re: Gintama .

Post by Ellie_T 2011-03-11, 10:35

Gintama is probably my favorite anime too big smile I can just watch it over and over; it never gets tiring. I'm so happy there's another fan here!

I doubt I could name only one favorite character, but I'm fondest of Okita, Takasugi, Kamui and Matsudaira (is there a pattern here? Hmmmm...), though the latter two have had relatively little screen time. I don't hate anyone, but I did tend to enjoy the scenes with Prince Hata Baka less then the others. It's his voice, I think. It grates on my nerves.

Don't think I have a favorite episode either, but the Owee arc is standing out in my mind right now so I'm going to say that. What about yourself, Kyoki?
Ellie_T
Ellie_T
Silver Member
Silver Member

VIP Award
Enjoy this new home, hopefully. - phio69 Now I know you are a kind person. Thank you! ^^ - phio69 Because I wanted to give you something! :) - Nonomino You are NOT not worthy. ^^ - freija93 Lots of love for you~ - frejia93 You're so awesome!!! <3 - Kyoki Congrats for becoming a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino A memento of times past~ - Ellie_T Thank you very much ^.^ - svetyalana I hope you enjoy your stay here. :) - kazaki03 for the best Mafia admin~ - svetyalana For inspiration and the snow hymmnos idea, thank you. :) - kazaki03

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyoki 2011-03-11, 10:49

I'm glad there is another fan here too. big smile

I can totally watch it again and again and again and not get tired. Like the other day I was bored and randomly wanted to watch a episode so I just picked a number and played it. I really can't do that for most animes.

I have quite a few favorites, but at the same time I do love all of the characters. I think my ultimate favorite is Gintoki though. There is just something about him that draws me to him. I also like Kagura, Okita, Toshiro, Kondo and Kamui though. Prince Baka just has a idiotic voice, perhaps that is why you don't like. Every time I hear his voice I think of idiots. LOL!

I don't think I can pick a favorite episode, honestly. I love them all too much.

Oh~ I forgot if anyone has a favorite pairing. :P My favorite is Okita and Kagura. I don't know what it is, but I love those two so much. I squeal every time I find a cute fanart of the two of them. big smile
Kyoki
Kyoki
Gold Member
Gold Member

VIP Award Gold Award
for being a member at ASH ^^ - phio69 for all you have done for ASH - phio69 For being fans of Akiko Shikata like me~ - Wasabi happy birthday, Kyoki-chan! - phio69 Happy 2011~! - Wasabi Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin Yay for being a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino So a chronicle of our friendship always exists! - Ellie_T May this armor protect you from all harm~ - Ellie_T For being dedicated to ASH! - freija93 You're one of the best. ^^ - freija93 Here's a dualithnode crystal from Kazaki-Reyvateil desu. xD - kazaki03 I would have never reached Gold Rank without you guys. Thanks. :) - kazaki03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ellie_T 2011-03-11, 11:08

I'm not usually one for shipping, but I do agree with you on Kagura/Okita. They have such an awesome dynamic! I loved them together in the Kyuubei arc.
I also have a perverse liking of (cough)Takasugi/Bansai(cough)...Tell no one! sweat
Ellie_T
Ellie_T
Silver Member
Silver Member

VIP Award
Enjoy this new home, hopefully. - phio69 Now I know you are a kind person. Thank you! ^^ - phio69 Because I wanted to give you something! :) - Nonomino You are NOT not worthy. ^^ - freija93 Lots of love for you~ - frejia93 You're so awesome!!! <3 - Kyoki Congrats for becoming a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino A memento of times past~ - Ellie_T Thank you very much ^.^ - svetyalana I hope you enjoy your stay here. :) - kazaki03 for the best Mafia admin~ - svetyalana For inspiration and the snow hymmnos idea, thank you. :) - kazaki03

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyoki 2011-03-11, 11:43

Yea, I'm not really into the shipping. But Okita/Kagura I will support them till the day I die. Muahhahahaha! I just love their interactions to each other. Hahahah, I love them in that arc. I like when they were fighting together against that one dude and then Kagura beat them all up. She's so freaking cute!!!!

I've seen some pretty cute fanart of those two. I can't help but kinda like that pairing too. Bansai is so cool. :P
Kyoki
Kyoki
Gold Member
Gold Member

VIP Award Gold Award

Back to top Go down

Post by Ellie_T 2011-03-11, 12:04

Kagura is definitely way too adorable! Her insane strength coupled with her childish mannerisms just make me want to glomp her and pinch her cheeks.

Every time I see that part where Okita is on Kagura's shoulders and she charges and his face slams into the doorway, I burst out in hysterical laughter. I don't care how slapstick and lowbrow it is. laugh The part later where Shinpachi finds the phone and sees the pictures Kagura took make it even better.
Ellie_T
Ellie_T
Silver Member
Silver Member

VIP Award

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyoki 2011-03-11, 13:10

I know right?!?!?!?! It always throws me off how strong she really is since she's so cute! OMG! I so wish I could cosplay her someday.

ZOMG!!!!! That part is so epic!!!! And the phone!!! And how he hides the evidence is priceless!!!!

Shinpachi really does his awesome moments. Though there are really times when I'm not sure if I like him or not. He just seems like one of those characters that give you mixed feelings.
Kyoki
Kyoki
Gold Member
Gold Member

VIP Award Gold Award

Back to top Go down

Post by -ALT- 2011-03-12, 04:23

It's fun to see Kagura and Okita at loggerheads with each other~ they kind of give out that "it's either my victory or my death" vibe whenever they're around each other.

Yup~ like Ellie, it's impossible to name my fav character~ there are just too many of them! Haha~ I love Gintoki, Kagura, Shinpachi, Sadaharu, Hijikata, Kondo, Okita, Yamazaki (he's really funny), Katsura, Tsukuyo etc etc (I think I can almost put every gintama characters to this list embarrassed ). Shinpachi's probably one of the most normal human in Gintama except when he transforms into the demonic leader of Otsu's fanclub. Nevertheless, he's a good person~ hahaha

I'll have to say, Prince Baka Baka Baka is really a Baka at 99.999% of the time, making his appearence even more Baka than the level of Baka-ness he should Baka-ly display (Alright, that's harsh =X). Haha~ Sarutobi can become a little annoying during her fantasy episodes and Takechi Henpeita's loli-complex makes it perfectly legitimate for him to be punched by Kagura =X

Last edited by -ALT- on 2011-03-13, 23:06; edited 1 time in total
-ALT-
-ALT-
Silver Member
Silver Member

ASH Christmas & New Year Event 2010 Poem Section VIP Award
for being a member at ASH ^^ - phio69 thank you. so much. - phio69 Happy new year! - Artesox Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin For your participation in ASH Christmas & New Year 2010 Event. - phio69 'Cause you're the best! :D - phio69 You are such a kind person! - phio69 Yay for being a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino You're so awesome!!! <3 - Kyoki Thank you. ^-^ - yukihime03 Thank you very much ^.^ - svetyalana

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyoki 2011-03-12, 05:14

Haha, they totally do give off the feeling.

Oh noes! I forgot say Yamazaki is one of my favorites too. He's just so funny. I like that one where he was going undercover and found Gintoki with his amnesia. Oh, and that other time he went undercover. LMAO!!!! Poor Yamazaki. :P

LOL!!!! He is quite the Baka. :P Ah, Ayame... I have such mixed feelings about her. I like her, but don't like her at the same time. ^.^;;;;;;
Kyoki
Kyoki
Gold Member
Gold Member

VIP Award Gold Award

Back to top Go down

Post by Ellie_T 2011-03-12, 05:41

Aha, I agree, poor Yamazaki-kun, he's always getting pushed around. Shinpachi too...that time when everyone was arguing about which one of them was more boring and forgettable and how Shinpachi's glasses made up his entire being (actually that goes for Madao too) was just cruel. I feel sorry for a lot of characters on this show...but it's all so funny! black heart

Ayame is simply...weird. And this is in comparison to all the other weirdos in the series. I like her though ^_^
Ellie_T
Ellie_T
Silver Member
Silver Member

VIP Award

Back to top Go down

Post by -ALT- 2011-03-12, 05:48

Kyoki wrote:Oh noes! I forgot say Yamazaki is one of my favorites too. He's just so funny. I like that one where he was going undercover and found Gintoki with his amnesia. Oh, and that other time he went undercover. LMAO!!!! Poor Yamazaki. :P

Yea! I love that episode too! And the one in which he "passed away" XD He's actually one of the friendliest guy in gintama big smile

Ellie_T wrote:Aha, I agree, poor Yamazaki-kun, he's always getting pushed around. Shinpachi too...that time when everyone was arguing about which one of them was more boring and forgettable and how Shinpachi's glasses made up his entire being (actually that goes for Madao too) was just cruel. I feel sorry for a lot of characters on this show...but it's all so funny! black heart

Ah! I really like Madao too~ he's trying so hard but fate tends to be cruel T_T I hope that he will get back with his wife soon smile
-ALT-
-ALT-
Silver Member
Silver Member

for being a member at ASH ^^ - phio69 thank you. so much. - phio69 Happy new year! - Artesox Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin For your participation in ASH Christmas & New Year 2010 Event. - phio69 'Cause you're the best! :D - phio69 You are such a kind person! - phio69 Yay for being a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino You're so awesome!!! <3 - Kyoki Thank you. ^-^ - yukihime03 Thank you very much ^.^ - svetyalana

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyoki 2011-03-13, 11:07

Ahh, poor Madao. He tries so hard to keep his jobs. T^T

I do feel sorry for a lot of the characters. But it's so funny and great! big smile
Kyoki
Kyoki
Gold Member
Gold Member

VIP Award Gold Award

Back to top Go down

Post by -ALT- 2011-03-13, 17:11

Yea... poor madao cry

The author's kinda funny too. He actually portrays himself as a gorilla with weird habits~ hahahaha
His 'fan letter section' and 'author's note page' is pure hilarious. He really went all way out to 'attack' his staff and be sacarstic towards the questions the readers posted big smile
-ALT-
-ALT-
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyoki 2011-03-13, 17:35

LOL! Yea! I think the gorilla parts are funny. I like when he says stuff like "I wish I was a piece of cheesecake." LMAO!!!! I love his fan letter and author pages. I look forward to them so much since they are hilarious and always brighten up my day. big smile
Kyoki
Kyoki
Gold Member
Gold Member

VIP Award Gold Award

Back to top Go down

Post by -ALT- 2011-03-13, 20:42

Yea! What is/are your favourite arc(s) so far? (click here to refer if you need XD) I kinda like the Infant Strife (baby Ginchan~), Benizakura, Senbokyo and Rokkaku arc~ I really want to know more about Gin chan's past - the teacher he respected, his comrades etc. I think the story will be sad though >___<
-ALT-
-ALT-
Silver Member
Silver Member

for being a member at ASH ^^ - phio69 thank you. so much. - phio69 Happy new year! - Artesox Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin For your participation in ASH Christmas & New Year 2010 Event. - phio69 &#39;Cause you&#39;re the best! :D - phio69 You are such a kind person! - phio69 Yay for being a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino You&#39;re so awesome!!! &lt;3 - Kyoki Thank you. ^-^ - yukihime03 Thank you very much ^.^ - svetyalana

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyoki 2011-03-14, 02:48

Oh wow! Thanks for the link! Teehee. big smile

Hmm... I really enjoyed the Infant Strife Arc, even though it was sad what happened to the little kids dad. T^T Benizakura Arc was just freaking awesome. I loved the Yagyu Arc too since it was hilarious and had a lot of cool fights. OWee Arc.... just made me almost made me pee my pants while laughing. So epic. I can never thing of a game system again. Another one I liked is the Senbokyo Arc. And I have to love the Yoshiwara Arc because that one kid is so cute... and there is that one epic fight with Kagura against that... one dude who I can't remember his name... Crap.

Oh my, and then there is Shinsengumi Death Game Arc. I can't put into words just how... awesome this one was. Poor Toshiro. LOL!!!! Yorozuya Barbers Arc was another priceless one that I will never forget. I was alone in the house when I saw this one, so I'm quite happy since I was making some of the funniest laughing noises. Character Poll Arc, is another I like. big smile

As of right now I'm only on chapter 250 of Gintama, but last night I was scanning through the Timeskip Arc since I was really curious. And I've been looking at a of fanart of Kagura wearing this really awesome outfit. And so many different artist drew the same outfit so I was curious if she actually wore it. So I was curious. LOL! I forbade myself from reading any lines but just looked. But I must say that Kyubei is freaking super pretty as a girl. And another arc I haven't read, but read the summary for is Year-End's Booze. That one just sounds like it will be epci. I can't wait until I get to that part in the manga and then it's animated. big smile

Oh, and since the Gintama is restarting in a little less than a month, there are some people on Tumbrl who are updating fanart everyday. Or something like that. :P But it's pretty cool. http://gintama30.tumblr.com/

Oh, I want to know Gintoki's past so bad too~!
Kyoki
Kyoki
Gold Member
Gold Member

VIP Award Gold Award
for being a member at ASH ^^ - phio69 for all you have done for ASH - phio69 For being fans of Akiko Shikata like me~ - Wasabi happy birthday, Kyoki-chan! - phio69 Happy 2011~! - Wasabi Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin Yay for being a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino So a chronicle of our friendship always exists! - Ellie_T May this armor protect you from all harm~ - Ellie_T For being dedicated to ASH! - freija93 You&#39;re one of the best. ^^ - freija93 Here&#39;s a dualithnode crystal from Kazaki-Reyvateil desu. xD - kazaki03 I would have never reached Gold Rank without you guys. Thanks. :) - kazaki03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ellie_T 2011-03-14, 03:16

I agree with you on every one of those arcs, Kyoki! I'll add the Umibouzu arc too: "D-d-d-domestic violence!?" And the Mitsuba arc...although that one made me cry...Actually, I can't choose! They're all freaking awesome! amazed

-ALT- wrote: I really want to know more about Gin chan's past - the teacher he respected, his comrades etc. I think the story will be sad though >___<

Yes! I wish someone would sub the movie already, it seems they show some of this in it. Rumbel is taking a long time...grrrr.
Ellie_T
Ellie_T
Silver Member
Silver Member

VIP Award
Enjoy this new home, hopefully. - phio69 Now I know you are a kind person. Thank you! ^^ - phio69 Because I wanted to give you something! :) - Nonomino You are NOT not worthy. ^^ - freija93 Lots of love for you~ - frejia93 You&#39;re so awesome!!! &lt;3 - Kyoki Congrats for becoming a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino A memento of times past~ - Ellie_T Thank you very much ^.^ - svetyalana I hope you enjoy your stay here. :) - kazaki03 for the best Mafia admin~ - svetyalana For inspiration and the snow hymmnos idea, thank you. :) - kazaki03

Back to top Go down

Post by -ALT- 2011-03-14, 04:11

You're welcome and I really like the fanarts! big smile

I have to agree with both of you that all the arcs are just SOO awesome! The barber arc is...er.. I actually hid my head under the blanket when I was watching that... it's because I simply don't know where to look (ah...the both of you should know the place where Katsura's hair ended up +_+)

Yup! Kyubei is really adorable as a girl~ I'm not gonna leak any spoilers~ but I can assure you that the story is becoming better and better smile Gintama's animation is finally resuming? If that's true, I'll have to say, "THAT'S JUST TOOO GREAT!" XD

I haven't seen the movie... but the manga actually showed some hints here and there. Unfortunately, those flashbacks are actually kind of sad. I'm facing the dilemma of wanting to know their history yet having the impression that it'll definitely be depressing >___<
-ALT-
-ALT-
Silver Member
Silver Member

for being a member at ASH ^^ - phio69 thank you. so much. - phio69 Happy new year! - Artesox Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin For your participation in ASH Christmas & New Year 2010 Event. - phio69 &#39;Cause you&#39;re the best! :D - phio69 You are such a kind person! - phio69 Yay for being a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino You&#39;re so awesome!!! &lt;3 - Kyoki Thank you. ^-^ - yukihime03 Thank you very much ^.^ - svetyalana

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyoki 2011-03-14, 04:46

Ellie_T wrote:I agree with you on every one of those arcs, Kyoki! I'll add the Umibouzu arc too: "D-d-d-domestic violence!?" And the Mitsuba arc...although that one made me cry...Actually, I can't choose! They're all freaking awesome! amazed

Yea, the Umibouzu one was pretty good. The Mitsuba Arc made me cry as well. T^T

Ellie_T wrote:Yes! I wish someone would sub the movie already, it seems they show some of this in it. Rumbel is taking a long time...grrrr.

I really hope they do that soon too. I swear I look online everyday for the sub. I want to see it so badly!

-ALT- wrote:I have to agree with both of you that all the arcs are just SOO awesome! The barber arc is...er.. I actually hid my head under the blanket when I was watching that... it's because I simply don't know where to look (ah...the both of you should know the place where Katsura's hair ended up +_+)

OMG!!!!! I know!!!! Everything I think of that I break out in laughter no matter where I am or what I am doing. That part was so freaking epic. I can't stop thinking about it now... and now I'm laughing so hard my chest is sore. LMAO!!!!!

-ALT- wrote:Yup! Kyubei is really adorable as a girl~ I'm not gonna leak any spoilers~ but I can assure you that the story is becoming better and better smile Gintama's animation is finally resuming? If that's true, I'll have to say, "THAT'S JUST TOOO GREAT!" XD

Yay for it getting better and better! Hehe, a few months ago I heard that they were going to start it up again soon. And then I think about five days ago I saw on several sites that in exactly one month it was going to start. I can't wait for the new episodes!!!! Zomgz!

-ALT- wrote:I haven't seen the movie... but the manga actually showed some hints here and there. Unfortunately, those flashbacks are actually kind of sad. I'm facing the dilemma of wanting to know their history yet having the impression that it'll definitely be depressing >___<

Yea, I have that impression that it's sad too. Ah, I hope we know more someday though. That would be great. smile But at the same time, it's kinda cool being able to wonder and try to fit the pieces in ourselves. ((Even though I try to say cool stuff like that... I desperately want to know what happened!!!! LOL!))
Kyoki
Kyoki
Gold Member
Gold Member

VIP Award Gold Award
for being a member at ASH ^^ - phio69 for all you have done for ASH - phio69 For being fans of Akiko Shikata like me~ - Wasabi happy birthday, Kyoki-chan! - phio69 Happy 2011~! - Wasabi Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin Yay for being a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino So a chronicle of our friendship always exists! - Ellie_T May this armor protect you from all harm~ - Ellie_T For being dedicated to ASH! - freija93 You&#39;re one of the best. ^^ - freija93 Here&#39;s a dualithnode crystal from Kazaki-Reyvateil desu. xD - kazaki03 I would have never reached Gold Rank without you guys. Thanks. :) - kazaki03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down