A Singing Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to write in Japanese Katakana (Basics)

+2
Artesox
kazaki03
6 posters

Go down

How to write in Japanese Katakana (Basics) Empty How to write in Japanese Katakana (Basics)

Post by kazaki03 2011-04-05, 20:51

Before we begin, I suggest installing Japanese support first, to avoid seeing squares. --> http://blog.greggman.com/blog/japanese_input_on_windows_xp/

Okay. Let's begin. big smile

First, this is the Katakana chart. --> http://www.easyjapanese.org/img/katakana_chart.jpg

RULES (will be updated as soon as I find more):

1. Names are written the way they sound, not the way they are spelled. Ignore doubles in spellings (depending on situation).
ex. Hazel --> ヘイゼル (heizeru), Hayley --> ヘイリー(heirii)

2. To spell words with DI/DIE or DY, use the デ(de) character. Same goes for TI/TIE and TY, but sometimes you can use チ(chi) which could also read as "ti". This is most commonly used in words ending in Y.
ex. Lady Gaga --> レディ・ガガ (redi gaga), Nathan --> ネイザン(neizan), Raffy --> ラッフィー(raffi)

3. Japanese doesn't have an L sound, so use the R sounds instead. It's the same thing.
ex. Lalay --> ラライ (rarai), Lizette --> リゼット(risetto)

4. Words ending in consonants (or sound ending in consonants) uses the consonant with U. Example, ending in L uses ル(ru), ending in S uses ス(su), etc. R however uses A, as in BEAR --> ベア(bea)
ex. Kristel --> クリステル(kurisuteru), Flores --> フロレス(furoresu), Noel --> ノエル(noeru)

5. Words with TH becomes Z or S sound.
ex. Theodore --> セオドア(seodoa), Keith --> キーズ(kiizu)

6. Words with long I sound such as HEAT becomes ヒート(hiito), wherein a prolonger dash is used after the ヒ(hi). Also mostly used with the ディ(di) and ティ(ti) characters.
ex. Teddy --> テッディー(teddii), Kelly --> ケリー(kerii)

7. R sounds become A in special conditions.
ex. Speaker --> スピーカー(supiikaa), Doctor --> ドクター(dokutaa)

8. Words ending in T and D sound have special transformations. They become ト(to), ット(tto) ド(do) ッド(ddo) depeneding on the word.
ex. List -->リスト(risuto), Best -->ベスト(besuto), Text --> テクスト(tekusuto)

9. V sounds are transformed into B sounds. Although there are V sounds ヴァ ヴィ ヴ ヴェ ヴォ (va vi vu ve vo), they are used rarely.
ex. Chavit --> チャビット(chabitto), David -->デビッド(debiddo)

10. For F sounds: ファ(fa) フィ(fi) フ(fu) フェ(fe) フォ(fo). フ(fu) can also be pronounced as HU.
ex. Fhil --> フィル(firu), Ferarri --> フェラッリー(ferarri)

11. The use of the mini ッ(tsu) is for double consonants and double sound (especially in -TION words).
ex. Lamination --> ラミネッション(raminesshon), Passion --> パッション(passhon)

12. Use the ン(n) for words ending and sounding in N. However, there are exceptions (for the soundings), such as ALBUM --> アルバム(arubamu), where the ending N becomes ム(mu) because M is used.
ex. Adam --> アダム(adamu), Len --> レン(ren)

13. TSU can be read as TU.
ex. Tulfo --> ツルフォ(tsurufo)

14. Use the character ・for separating spaced words.
ex. Shiela Lynn --> シーラ・リン(shiira rin)

IF YOU HAVE OTHER QUESTIONS OR VIOLENT REACTIONS, FEEL FREE TO COMMENT.

All content based on my self-studying, no copypastas.

(c) Kristel "Kazaki" Cuadra. For learning purposes only. =)
kazaki03
kazaki03
Gold Member
Gold Member

VIP Award Gold Award
Country Flag : Philippines
welcome to ASH! ^^ - phio69 thank you. so much. - phio69 Happy 2011~! - Wasabi Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin Pursue your dreams, you have my support! :) - -ALT- Yay for being a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino For awesomeness! - phio_chan arigatou na. here's a moon for u. ^-^ - yukihime03 You're so sweet~! - Ellie_T For our dear Hymmnos singer! Thank you for your lovely songs~ - Ellie_T Grats! You have over 1000 posts! :D - Kyoki

http://www.kazaki-music.asia/

Back to top Go down

How to write in Japanese Katakana (Basics) Empty Re: How to write in Japanese Katakana (Basics)

Post by Artesox 2011-04-07, 11:59

Hummm
I didn't understand well this one sad

Like, in which cases we use Katakana?

I'm totally newbie in this so I'm kinda shy to ask anything sad

Artesox
Artesox
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

VIP Award
Country Flag : Brazil
for being a member at ASH ^^ - phio69 For being fans of Akiko Shikata like me~ - Wasabi thank you. so much. - phio69 Happy 2011~! - Wasabi Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin For our very own talented writer ;) Yay for being a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino You're so awesome!!! <3 - Kyoki You guys are awesome. :D - kazaki03 Thank you for being awesome Shikata friends. =) - kazaki03 For following me on Twitter. =) - kazaki03 For awesomeness! - phio_chan

Back to top Go down

How to write in Japanese Katakana (Basics) Empty Re: How to write in Japanese Katakana (Basics)

Post by kazaki03 2011-04-07, 13:38

Whoops, sorry about that.

Katakana is used for Foreign stuff like foreign words, terms, names, etc.
In short, they're for foreign proper nouns. And sometimes (a guide for Japanese) for pronouncing English words.
kazaki03
kazaki03
Gold Member
Gold Member

VIP Award Gold Award
welcome to ASH! ^^ - phio69 thank you. so much. - phio69 Happy 2011~! - Wasabi Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin Pursue your dreams, you have my support! :) - -ALT- Yay for being a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino For awesomeness! - phio_chan arigatou na. here's a moon for u. ^-^ - yukihime03 You're so sweet~! - Ellie_T For our dear Hymmnos singer! Thank you for your lovely songs~ - Ellie_T Grats! You have over 1000 posts! :D - Kyoki

Back to top Go down

Post by Artesox 2011-04-08, 00:42

And Kowarero and Pepen?
They are both not-foreign words and Katakana is used for they

(Sorry for any newbie-ism)
Artesox
Artesox
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

VIP Award
for being a member at ASH ^^ - phio69 For being fans of Akiko Shikata like me~ - Wasabi thank you. so much. - phio69 Happy 2011~! - Wasabi Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin For our very own talented writer ;) Yay for being a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino You're so awesome!!! <3 - Kyoki You guys are awesome. :D - kazaki03 Thank you for being awesome Shikata friends. =) - kazaki03 For following me on Twitter. =) - kazaki03 For awesomeness! - phio_chan

Back to top Go down

Post by Treize 2011-04-08, 15:08

Yeah, like kazaki03 said, katakana is mainly used for loan words, but katakana can also be used in other cases. Katakana can be used to add more emphasis to the word, to replace difficult kanji that the target audience may not be able to read, or for names.

I'm guessing Kowarero is spelled コワレロ for emphasis, and pepen is spelled ペペン because it is a name. Normally Japanese names are spelled with kanji and hiragana, but fictional characters and foreign names will often be spelled in katakana.

I forgot to mention that katakana is also used for onomatopoeias. If the word that represents something sounds like the thing it describes basically.

Does that help?
Treize
Treize
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Country Flag : United States
For helping to create this place to be more like home. - phio69

Back to top Go down

Post by Artesox 2011-04-08, 23:01

It helped a lot, thanks big smile

Later I will search for the Japanese names of AT to see if I can read the Higarana.

I have been training it a lot lately XD

Also, I will search for more Lyrics, to see if I already memorized something :P
Artesox
Artesox
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

VIP Award

Back to top Go down

Post by ¬ Bru 2011-04-09, 06:50

Katakana is also used for scientific names and to write the Chinese pronunciation of kanji (on-yomi).
I know katakana, but I hate it >.<
¬ Bru
¬ Bru

for being a member at ASH ^^ - phio69 Happy new year! - Artesox Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin Because you are my friend! - phio69

Back to top Go down

Post by Treize 2011-04-09, 11:10

¬ Bru wrote:Katakana is also used for scientific names and to write the Chinese pronunciation of kanji (on-yomi).
I know katakana, but I hate it >.<
I would think katakana would be awesome. It basically tells you if a word is a loan word, and most loan words are from English. I'm learning other languages that do not have a different character set for loan words, and sometimes it is near impossible to tell that a word is a cognate if you have not seen the word before. ><
Treize
Treize
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Country Flag : United States
For helping to create this place to be more like home. - phio69

Back to top Go down

Post by LavenderYuki 2011-04-09, 16:04

I hate katakana because I can't effing tell between tsu and shi, and so and n, not to mention to write them properly to distinguish between the two orz
LavenderYuki
LavenderYuki

for being a member at ASH ^^ - phio69 For being fans of Akiko Shikata like me~ - Wasabi Happy new year! - Artesox Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin For Rurutia&#39;s little guardian angel :D - -ALT-

http://mizrock20.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ¬ Bru 2011-04-10, 01:09

LavenderYuki wrote:I hate katakana because I can't effing tell between tsu and shi, and so and n, not to mention to write them properly to distinguish between the two orz

There is a little trick for understand the difference: if we write "shi" in katakana we can see that the two "lines" are near the lower part of the kana, and combining all the points, we can obtain a kana very similar to the respective hiragana: シ -> し, in the same way, in the other kana, we can see that the "lines" are in the upper part of the kana, and we obtain the kana "tsu" if we combine all the points ツ -> つ.
And all of these have a different way of being written: "shi" an "n" from bottom to top, "tsu" and "so" from top to bottom.
I hope it is clear >.<
¬ Bru
¬ Bru

for being a member at ASH ^^ - phio69 Happy new year! - Artesox Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin Because you are my friend! - phio69

Back to top Go down

Post by Artesox 2011-04-10, 04:22

ツ is a guy looking to the ground

and シ is a guy looking to the sky

:Trollface:
Artesox
Artesox
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

VIP Award
for being a member at ASH ^^ - phio69 For being fans of Akiko Shikata like me~ - Wasabi thank you. so much. - phio69 Happy 2011~! - Wasabi Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin For our very own talented writer ;) Yay for being a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino You&#39;re so awesome!!! &lt;3 - Kyoki You guys are awesome. :D - kazaki03 Thank you for being awesome Shikata friends. =) - kazaki03 For following me on Twitter. =) - kazaki03 For awesomeness! - phio_chan

Back to top Go down

Post by kazaki03 2011-04-10, 10:59

I also have a confusion with so(ソ) and n(ン) when deciphering them.
But now I guess I get it a little bit, because of the upper quote.
kazaki03
kazaki03
Gold Member
Gold Member

VIP Award Gold Award
welcome to ASH! ^^ - phio69 thank you. so much. - phio69 Happy 2011~! - Wasabi Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin Pursue your dreams, you have my support! :) - -ALT- Yay for being a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino For awesomeness! - phio_chan arigatou na. here&#39;s a moon for u. ^-^ - yukihime03 You&#39;re so sweet~! - Ellie_T For our dear Hymmnos singer! Thank you for your lovely songs~ - Ellie_T Grats! You have over 1000 posts! :D - Kyoki

Back to top Go down

Post by phio_chan 2011-04-10, 16:07

kazaki03 wrote:I also have a confusion with so(ソ) and n(ン) when deciphering them.
But now I guess I get it a little bit, because of the upper quote.

My teacher taught me that the difference is on how you draw the strokes. For "shi" and "n", you draw the last stroke up ('to the sky'), while for "tsu" and "so" you draw the last stroke down ('to the ground').
phio_chan
phio_chan
Main Administrator
Main Administrator

VIP Award Gold Award
Country Flag : Indonesia
Thank You for being such a great friend to me. - Marvin For you being you. - Marvin For being fans of Akiko Shikata like me~ - Wasabi Happy 2011~! - Wasabi Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin For the creator of the wonderful ASH :) - -ALT- Hope things will be better with the power of crystal :D - -ALT- For our beloved admin! - Nonomino So a chronicle of our friendship always exists! - Ellie_T May this armor protect you from all harm~ - Ellie_T You&#39;re so awesome!!! &lt;3 - Kyoki You&#39;re totally the greatest admin ever!!! &lt;3 - Kyoki I hope you will like it! - hikaru miaka You guys are awesome. :D - kazaki03 Thank you for being awesome Shikata friends. =) - kazaki03 For following me on Twitter. =) - kazaki03 Thank you very much ^.^ - svetyalana Thank you for all your hard work, Admin-sama! - Ellie_T We&#39;re the cutest Mafia ever!! - svetyalana pick your poison, my dear friend. XD - yukihime03 I would have never reached Gold Rank without you guys. Thanks. :) - kazaki03

https://chouwa-harmonia.forummotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kazaki03 2011-04-11, 00:44

Thanks freija-san! big smile
kazaki03
kazaki03
Gold Member
Gold Member

VIP Award Gold Award
welcome to ASH! ^^ - phio69 thank you. so much. - phio69 Happy 2011~! - Wasabi Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin Pursue your dreams, you have my support! :) - -ALT- Yay for being a Gold Member!~ - Nonomino For awesomeness! - phio_chan arigatou na. here&#39;s a moon for u. ^-^ - yukihime03 You&#39;re so sweet~! - Ellie_T For our dear Hymmnos singer! Thank you for your lovely songs~ - Ellie_T Grats! You have over 1000 posts! :D - Kyoki

Back to top Go down

Post by phio_chan 2011-04-11, 00:47

You are welcome! Personally for me it helps a lot, so I hope it can help you too. big smile
phio_chan
phio_chan
Main Administrator
Main Administrator

VIP Award Gold Award
Country Flag : Indonesia
Thank You for being such a great friend to me. - Marvin For you being you. - Marvin For being fans of Akiko Shikata like me~ - Wasabi Happy 2011~! - Wasabi Happy Holidays Guys! - Marvin For the creator of the wonderful ASH :) - -ALT- Hope things will be better with the power of crystal :D - -ALT- For our beloved admin! - Nonomino So a chronicle of our friendship always exists! - Ellie_T May this armor protect you from all harm~ - Ellie_T You&#39;re so awesome!!! &lt;3 - Kyoki You&#39;re totally the greatest admin ever!!! &lt;3 - Kyoki I hope you will like it! - hikaru miaka You guys are awesome. :D - kazaki03 Thank you for being awesome Shikata friends. =) - kazaki03 For following me on Twitter. =) - kazaki03 Thank you very much ^.^ - svetyalana Thank you for all your hard work, Admin-sama! - Ellie_T We&#39;re the cutest Mafia ever!! - svetyalana pick your poison, my dear friend. XD - yukihime03 I would have never reached Gold Rank without you guys. Thanks. :) - kazaki03

https://chouwa-harmonia.forummotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down